Monday, July 9, 2012

How Did I Get Here?

We have 4 children, the youngest of which is nearly two. For as long as I can remember, I've been fairly decent at using coupons and getting good deals. However, before Cuatro was born, I started to have anxiety about how we would survive me being on maternity leave (on 1 income), when we were used to living on 2. I decided the best thing I could do to alleviate that problem was to start a stockpile of toiletries, because of 2 reasons:

1- they can be kind of expensive
2- they don't expire... I mean really, when was the last time you threw out a bar of soap?

I started scouring the Sunday sales ads about 4 months before Cuatro was due and started frequenting several grocery and drug stores to get the best deals.

I live in an area where I (blessedly) have a variety of stores at my fingertips, but also have oodles of friends who are not convinced that going from store to store is worth the effort. Truly, it's mind over matter... If you don't mind, it don't matter. :) All kidding aside, I was willing to haul the other kids in & out of store (after store) to get the best deals, in the name of saving a fist full of dollars every time. Do I ever make exceptions to this rule and purchase something at the store where I am, because I'm just too doggone tired to bust it over to another store? Absolutely-- but not very often.

You see, in my opinion, saving money by couponing is truly a mindset. Once you are in that place, you'll look for every single possible deal on every single thing you purchase. However, it's a habit and when you're not in the habit, it's hard to understand. In no way am I saying I drive myself nuts by being an extreme couponer, because I'm not and I don't. That said, I also can't justify paying full price for anything and if I ever have to, I drives me up the wall.

I'm not a hunter, and neither is Financial Guy for that matter, but I liken couponing and getting deals to hunting: you get prepared, you go out, you "kill it", and drag "it" home. Quite possibly, if you play your cards right, you'll be dragging home a car load, but saving a bundle in the process. :) Twice yesterday, I was stopped by friends at worship about couponing. One friend told me they really wanted to get some tips on starting to use coupons. The second friend thanked me for sharing how we save money couponing, because it had made such a difference in her family's financial outlook.

If you are new to the couponing scene, go here or here to get some ideas on how to get started. If you're still just testing the couponing waters, come on in... the water is just fine and your wallet will thank you. :) Is there just one way to organize coupons? Absolutely not! What works for me, might not work for you. Heck, what worked for me a year ago isn't the system I'm using now!

As the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is a good stockpile. Yep, this really is a picture of my pantry...


When starting out, start small, focus on one category, and build your way to saving money. You will, I promise. :) Questions? Let me know! I'll be happy to answer! Happy Monday & save on, friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment