Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How Toiletries Stack Up

Sorry for the delay in getting the second part of this out-- I know, you've been holding your breath, haven't you? :)  I'm surprised you couldn't hear me singing "School's out, school's out! The teacher let the monkeys out!" from where you are!

Last time, we talked about redefining the phrase "stocked up", because many TV shows present being stocked like you're running some sort of mini-mart from your garage or basement. A few weeks ago, we talked here about about how purchasing toiletries merely because you're out can kill your budget. However, if you're vigilant about watching for sales, you can easily stock up on expensive items that won't spoil and would otherwise cause your budget to go through the roof.

Dirty Little Secret #2: My bathroom closet stash. Again, excuse the mess. No OCD in my future...


Near the end of the school year last year, I knew I would be out for nearly 3 months this school year, because we were expecting Quatro to arrive around Labor Day (sure... make jokes... it's all the rage). At the time, my job was not one that allowed my income to be spread over the summer, when I wasn't working-- many places of employment don't offer this luxury, either. That said, we knew we'd live for nearly 3 months on Financial Guy's performance-based income. Love you, Financial Guy, but the thought of this can be quite frightening at times, especially when you're a "worst-case-scenario" imagining kind of girl. :(

At any rate, I took it upon myself to start stockpiling things that 1) would normally be expensive 2) wouldn't spoil and 3) we could get on the cheap-- dirt cheap! I started with body wash and razors. I collected several coupons for Nivea body wash, found a store with it on sale and spent $6 for 6 bottles. Next were the razors:


Initially, I started with the ProGlide razors from Gillette and 2 of these, no kidding, are what Financial Guy got for Father's Day. We are obviously very practical gift givers-- probably too practical. These were definitely a step up from the 97c/5pack cheapies he had been using. Over the last year, we have added to our stash, as stores have thrown them on sale and the coups have come out. From our loot in both areas, we have (blessedly) been able to donate many.

With 4 kids, we are boo-boo prone. Next area of stock are bandages:


One of the twins was at lessons one night and his teacher needed a bandage. It just so happened, I had just picked up 2 boxes for free at Walgreens. He said, "I don't want to take your good ones. These are nice." Are you kidding me? It's a BANDAGE and it was FREE, dude! Free divided by 30 (in the box) is a fraction of free! :) Needless to say, we keep several boxes on hand. Because we're not brand loyal, we get whatever is free or nearly free because of sales and coupons. As a matter of fact, recently there was a Nexcare coup in the paper and right now, there's one on Target's website. If you have a store that allows coupon stacking and takes Target coups, it will make a box less than a dollar and potentially FREE!

Last dirty secret: Things "down there". Down where? Under the sink, silly!


Yep, you guessed it. My store recently had sales on TP and we got stocked. At first glance, it appears it will take half an eternity to use 64 rolls. However, when you're wiping 5 behinds, you can flush that thought. :)

Stocking up on items your family will use, not in terms of needing a U-Haul to move it, will enable you to slice a significant portion off your monthly budget. Be vigilant and watch for sales! Save on, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment