Thursday, June 2, 2011

Define "Stocked"

This past weekend, some girlfriends and I were talking about couponing. I was flattered when a couple of them mentioned that they would really like for me to teach a "mini-coupon class"; As in starting small, not itty-bitty coups. :)  We talked lots about how to get started with couponing and building a stockpile.

When you hear the word "stockpile", do you automatically think about the people on shows like Extreme Couponers who have essentially turned their basement/garage/dining room and every square inch of spare closet space into places to stash 15 trillion rolls of toilet paper? In all honesty, those kinds of stashes almost make me laugh because products are basically treated like they'll never, ever go on sale again or even if they do, toilet paper will cease to be produced. Has someone contacted Charmin, because I feel certain they're still spinning it out every day... I'm definitely not knocking the fact that those people with mini-marts in their basements have paid very little for sooo much, I just question the 'why', when so many people could benefit from their graciousness, were it donated.

I'm going to let you in on a dirty little secret-- my pantry-- and give you MY definition of "stocked":


Obviously, from looking at this picture, I'm not that person who points all the labels the same way and puts things in nice, neat rows. Heck, you're lucky it's on the doggone shelves! :)

Since grocery sales follow patterns, much like seasons on the calendar, obviously the things I am stocked up on now is somewhat different than what I had 3-4 months ago. When you first look at this picture, it appears we're going to eat Taco Bell dinner kits on paper plates with pancakes covered in barbecue sauce, topped with baked beans and cereal on the side, for the next few days/weeks.

In all seriousness, many of the items in here will last us all summer and into the fall. For our family of 5 (nearly 6... Quatro is trying her gums at table food), --2 of which are growing boys with hollow legs-- we motor through a massive amount of food regularly. Due to that, we also roll (pun intended) right through several packages of toilet paper. And because of that, we use body wash like it's going out of style. Now you probably know way more than you wanted to about the personal habits of my family! :)

It is my goal to keep our pantry stocked with several easy staples, even though we only eat this kind of food for dinner about once or twice a week. My kids can put the hurt on cereal, so we keep multiple boxes on hand. Not necessarily for variety, but because it was purchased on the cheap.

If you're struggling to get started building a stockpile, thinking "I can't store as much stuff as they do on TV", neither will I! However, without your stash taking over your bedroom, you can probably build a stockpile large enough to sustain your fam until the next time something goes on sale.

Next time, I'll dish stockpiling toiletries. It's Thursday! Save on, friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment