Wednesday, February 23, 2011

SNOB!

Don't be a snob. It (in the words of my great-grandmother) "ain't purdy." If you intend to save loads of money on the items you buy, you totally have to get away from product snobbery. You really have to get away from being loyal-- to brands, that is. I've told you previously about being unconvinced that I would be able to save any money buying name brand items. I mean, in my mind's eye, it only made sense that I would save more money shopping at off-brand stores or buying store brand products. Right? Right. This is where I had a great deal to learn and where clippin' (coupons) really did lead to savin' money!

We all probably have our favorite products from which, we feel, we just can't venture. Do I prefer some brands over others? Sure, but I'm not such a product snob that I'm willing to pay more for an item, when I might not have a coupon for it.

For example, we go through peanut butter like water around my house (my friend Kim, who has a nut allergy, is probably itching just reading this). If I intend to save money (and I think you know I do), I have to watch for sales and especially sales coupled with coupons. The price fluctuates so much that some weeks I may pay less than $1/jar for my favorite brand (with a sale and coupon), while another week, it may be priced at upwards of $2.50 (notice I didn't say I actually paid that much for it). This is where stockpiling comes into play. If you can't seem to live without a certain brand of a particular item, when they throw it on sale, snatch up some coupons (if you can find them), and buy as much as you need to last about 2-3 months-- which is when it'll be on sale again.

Please don't go around bein' all snobbish. Product snobbery is one thing, but store snobbery is a close 2nd and we'll talk about that next time. :)

1 comment:

  1. Just a thought, Girl Scout cookies are expensive. The last 2 years I was able to NOT buy any even when my own daughter is a Girl Scout. This year I feel like I was "stuck" buying 3 boxes- $10.50 for cookies! URG! So my suggestion is get the Oreo cookies for $.50 at Rite Aid this week and donate $.50+ to a Girl Scout troop. (The Girl Scouts only get $.54 a box anyway.)

    ReplyDelete