Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ooo-weee! What up with that?

So have you watched SNL in the last year or so? One of my favorite skits is when Kenan Thompson does  What up with that.

A few weeks ago, my BFF came to visit. Even though we talk by phone or text nearly every day, we only get to see each other a couple of times a year, so it's always loads of fun. She knew that I had really gotten into clippin' & savin' (coupons, that is), so she graciously brought me a new coupon organizer.

My husband, Financial Guy, says, "Has she seen the coupon book you have now?". I immediately start to feel my neck and face get hot. I mean, why didn't he just drag out my big, ol' undies & showcase those? We all have our dirty little secrets, right? Mine is, or was, my coupon book. I'm not embarrassed to use it and have even been stopped numerous times in the middle of stores and asked how it's organized. But that's just it... I was weeks behind in the organization department and had coupons sticking out everywhere! Her eyes got about as big as plates.

Have you ever felt like if a song could summarize your life at that very moment, that you could almost hear it playing in the background? At that very moment, the song I could hear in my head (and I think I actually heard it in her head, too) was, "Ooo-wee! What up with that?". My BFF immediately reached for her cell phone and said, "I have to get a picture of that".

As my lean, very neat (as in the opposite of messy), new organizer waited patiently on the counter, my current 3-ring binder boasted gluttony and chaos. I mean, it was nearly bursting at the pockets with coupons. Her husband (eyes also wide) questions, "Are all those in date?". Much like the mom of a new baby, I gush, "Yes" (all the while thinking, 'we are so proud').

So when you pass someone in the grocery with a book like mine,

start singing my theme song. If they don't respond, it might not be me, but you'll get a chuckle, anyway. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment